2. What information the Site collects
We limit the personal information that we collect to what is necessary for the purposes that we have identified. The types of information that we collect include:
Information you provide directly to us:
You are not required to provide information directly to us in order to view the Site. However, when you use certain Site functions, such as when you register for certain services, access certain content or features, or directly contact the Site, we may ask you to provide information, including:
- Registration and contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, phone number, and mobile number
- search queries conducted on the Site; and
- correspondence you send to us.
Information automatically collected when you visit and interact with the Site:
- your computer's Internet Protocol (IP) address;
- your browser type and operating system;
- the web pages you were visiting immediately before and after you came to the Site;
- web pages and advertisements that you view, and links that you click on, within the Site;
- information about the searches you perform on the Site and how you use the results of those searches;
- information about the services that you use on the Site, how frequently you use them; and your responses to the offerings and advertisements presented on the Site, including those available through third party websites
- your bandwidth speed and information about the software programs that are installed on your computer;
- aggregated data about email click-through rates and user article and video viewing;
- location data and other information about mobile devices used to access and interact with the Site;
- standard server log information; and
- information collected through HTML cookies, Flash cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies.
For more information, please see our discussion of cookies and other technologies below.
Information we collect from other sources:
We may access information about you from third-party sources and platforms (such as social networking sites, databases, online marketing firms, and ad targeting firms),including:
- if you access third-party social networking services (such as Facebook Connect or Twitter) through the Site, your username and connection lists for those services;
- demographic data, such as age range, gender, and interests;
- advertisement interaction and viewing data, such as ad click-through rates and information about how many times you viewed a particular ad; and
- unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers, that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law.
Please note that the Site may combine the information that we collect with information we obtain from third-party sources.
3. How We Use the Information that We Collect
We collect information for one or more of the following purposes:
If you sign up for our email newsletter, we will send you the newsletter that you requested.
In order to provide our readers with free access to our content, we display advertisements on the Site. To create a more customized online experience for you, some of the ads you may receive are tailored to your preferences using information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other sources, such as ad networks which help us to present customized content and advertisements on the Site. Through this process, advertisers reach Site visitors who are most interested in their products, and you see advertising for products or services in which you may be interested. For more information on how cookies and other technologies work, please see our discussion below of cookies and other technologies.
We may use the information that we collect to fulfill your requests for services and information. For example, we may use your contact information to respond to your customer service requests.
In order to learn more about how our Site is used, we aggregate and analyze the data that we collect. We may use this information, for example, to monitor and analyze use of the Site, to increase our Site's functionality, and to better tailor our content and design to suit our visitors' needs.
We may use the information that we collect to meet legal and regulatory requirements, to prevent illegal activities, to enforce the Site's Terms and Conditions, and to otherwise protect our rights and the rights of our users.
4. Information Sharing
ViToday.ca values your privacy, and shares information about our users only under certain circumstances. We will make information about you available to other companies, applications, or people in the circumstances listed below:
- We may share aggregated information or information that does not directly identify you with third parties to help us develop content, services, and advertising that we hope you will find of interest. Please note that we do not share contact information with third parties that advertise on the Site.
- We may employ third parties to perform Site-related services, including database management, maintenance services, analytics, marketing, data processing, and email and text message distribution. These third parties have access to your information only to perform these tasks on our behalf.
- We may share information about you in the event that the Site is acquired by or merged with another company or a similar corporate transaction takes place. However, the Site will notify you by placing a prominent notice on our site.
- We may share information about you to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety or other rights and interests of any person, violations of the Site's Terms and Conditions, or as otherwise required by law.
- We may share information about you to respond to court orders, search warrants, judicial proceedings, subpoenas, legal process, or other law enforcement measures, to establish or exercise our legal rights, or to defend against legal claims.
- In addition to the scenarios identified above, we may share information about you for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
Please note that third parties may independently collect data about you, including your IP address and information about the websites you visit and the links you click, through cookies, clicks on links, or other means when you visit or view ads on the Site. For more information, see our section on cookies and other technologies and third party advertising.
5. Third-party Services
To customize your experience on the Site and to simplify the Site's registration process, we provide you with the opportunity to access or interact with third-party services, such as BuySellTrade, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, YouTube and MailChimp. When you connect to the Site through these third-party services, we may share information about you with these third-party service providers and they may share data about you with us.
Please remember that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party services. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of all third-party service providers.
6. Third-party Online Advertising
Some of the advertisements you see on the Site are selected and delivered by third parties, such as ad networks, advertising agencies, advertisers, and audience segment providers. These third parties may collect information about you and your online activities, either on the Site or on other websites, through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies in an effort to understand your interests and deliver to you advertisements that are tailored to your interests.
These third parties may offer you a way to choose not to have your information used for advertising purposes. For example, some of these companies are members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI"), which provides a single location where you can opt out of receiving targeted ads from member companies. To opt out, please visit the NAI's website at http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp
Please note that if you choose to opt out of having your information used to deliver advertisements tailored to your interests, you will continue to see advertisements on the Site, but these advertisements may not be as relevant to you.
7. Cookies and Other Technologies
As is standard practice on many websites, we may set and access cookies, web beacons, Flash cookies, and other technologies on your computer. Please note that third parties, such as ad networks, advertising agencies, advertisers, and audience segment providers, may also set and access cookies, web beacons, Flash cookies, and other technologies on your computer when you visit the Site. For more information, please see our discussion of third party advertising.
Cookies are small amounts of information stored in files within your computer's browser. Web sites can access only the cookies that they have stored on your computer. For example, if SampleCompanyX stores a cookie on your browser, SampleCompanyX may access its own cookie but not that of another company.
To help us recognize your browser as a previous visitor and save and remember any preferences that may have been set while your browser was visiting the Site.
To help us customize the content and advertisements you see when you visit the Site;
To help measure and research the effectiveness of our interactive online content, features, advertisements, and other communications; and
To track Site analytics and use, and to improve Site services.
We may use web beacons (also called transparent GIFs, web bugs, pixels, or action tags). These technologies are strings of code that deliver a tiny graphic image on a web page or in an email. Web beacons can recognize certain types of information on your computer such as cookies, the time and date a page is viewed, and a description of the page on which the web beacon is placed. In general, any file served as part of a web page can act as a web beacon.
We use web beacons for various tracking purposes, like determining whether or not you are logged into the Site and whether or not you are connected to a third-party service.
Third parties also may use web beacons on the Site to receive auditing, research, and reporting information, or to understand your interests and select and deliver to you advertisements that are tailored to your interests.
Some of the Site's third-party partners may use Flash cookies, otherwise known as locally shared objects (LSOs), to track user behaviours in various ways. LSOs keep collections of cookie-like data stored in a directory on a user's computer, and are installed through Adobe's Flash video player.
Some information is collected about you automatically through cookies and other technologies to customize your online experience. You can opt out of the use of your information for targeting purposes through the following procedures:
- Cookies. You can change your browser settings to reject all cookies, accept only certain cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. Please note that you may need to renew these settings if you delete your cookies after these preferences are made. These settings also may not apply if you are using a different computer or Internet browser. In addition, many third-party advertising networks are members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI"). To opt out of having information collected by NAI member companies used for behavioural advertising, to obtain information about the technologies these ad networks might use, and to view information regarding their privacy policies, please visit http://networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp .
If you opt out of these technologies, you will continue to see advertising displayed on the Site, but the advertising may not be targeted to your interests.
We will make available to you any of your personal information that we have collected, used or disclosed upon request.
9. Confidentiality and Security
We have privacy and security practices in place to safeguard your personal information. We retain personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and as permitted or required by law. We also limit access to information about you to employees or service providers who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs. Moreover, we have adopted commercially reasonable technical, physical, and administrative procedures to help protect your personal information from loss or theft and unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification.
Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using the Site, but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us.
10. Information May Be Collected, Transferred, Stored, or Processed Outside of Canada
ViToday.ca and its third party partners to whom we disclose information under this policy may perform activities outside of Canada and potentially collect, transfer, store, and process your personal information in other countries. As a result, your information may be subject to the laws of those countries. These laws may not be equivalent to the privacy and data protection laws in Canada. Information may be disclosed in response to valid demands or requests from government authorities, courts, or law enforcement in these countries. By using this Site or providing us with your information, you consent to the potential collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information in other countries.
11. Children's Guidelines
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we learn that we have collected any personal information from a child under the age of 13 without verifiable parental consent, we will delete that information from our database as quickly as possible. If you believe that we may have collected information from a child under 13, please contact us
13. Addressing Your Concerns
We have implemented policies and practices to give effect to this policy, including training and communicating with our employees the importance of privacy. We regularly monitor our procedures and security measures to ensure that they remain effective and that they are being properly administered.
If you have questions about these policies, please contact us
Effective: October 30, 2015